Monday, September 24, 2007

Tory... my two cents on religious school funding

I think it's possible that John Tory is trying to lose this election. Or that he has had some sort of seizure of conscience and is actually speaking his truth instead of trying to win the election. Wacky.

As for funding private religious schools, let me add my voice to the chorus that think it is a very bad idea and will do nothing to make Ontario and Canada a healthier and more inclusive nation. Here are my responses to the two main arguments that I've been hearing for religious school funding:

1. The argument that this will bring more students into the Ontario School System and ensure that they follow curriculum and can be inspected. Holey moley does this piss me off. What a load of bullshit (excuse my language). I can't believe that he hasn't been smacked down in public for making such an asinine statement. And every single one of those people who are arguing for private-religious-school funding ought to be ashamed of themselves. Let me make this very clear:

A school may not grant an Ontario Secondary School Diploma (OSSD) unless it is inspected and follows the Ontario curriculum. Students will not graduate with a diploma recognized by post-secondary institutions unless they are inspected.

I know this because I worked in a private school and we were inspected every... single... year.

2. The argument is that this will make the system *fair*.

My response is: Since when has what is *fair* determined what the government does or does not do? I agree it isn't fair but the deal with the Catholic schools was part of the very thorny negotiations to make this country come into being 140 years ago. It is a piece of endemic unfairness that is enshrined in the very fabric of our nation. It turns out that only schooling up to Grade 8 was part of the deal and it was only through the 1900s that the agreement was gradually expanded, not reaching OAC until 1984. Let's can this sucker.

To be truly *fair* we could hold a referendum, like Newfoundland did, and hopefully get rid of anything other than a secular school system with education in tolerance and world religions, ethics and critical thinking.

Religious education, if done at all, can be done at home, at church, and after school.

You all know I'm big on the UN, and Ontario has been censured for "discriminating against non-Catholics by funding Catholic separate schools, but not funding other separate schools."

I guess... in the end... I applaud John Tory for having the courage to bring up a difficult issue that should be addressed, I just come down on the opposite side.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Val - Elementary schools don't hand out Ontario Secondary Schools Diplomas.

So you can actually send you kid to some elementary school that is not inspected and as long as you send them to an accredited school for Grade 12 your child can even go to university.

Baconeater said...

Great post. What I find to be BS about the 53,000 kids being brought into the public education system is the fact that if Tory gets his way, those numbers are going to skyrocket.
Lets say 75% of Ontario Catholic children go to Catholic school right now, most because it is free...what is to stop 75% of every faith out there doing the same eventually?