Tuesday, September 4, 2007

I will help you speak

It is a well-known tidbit of info that many people are more afraid of public speaking than of death or it's a close second to fear of death. I know that everytime I get up to speak in front of an audience my throat starts to close and my voice decides to stop working. That was a big part of the reason I took singing lessons - to force myself to perform in front of a crowd. It didn't really work but I was glad to face my fear. Maybe that's why the following Bible passage really got to me.

'Moses said to the LORD, "O Lord, I have never been eloquent, neither in the past nor since you have spoken to your servant. I am slow of speech and tongue."

The LORD said to him, "Who gave man his mouth? Who makes him deaf or mute? Who gives him sight or makes him blind? Is it not I, the LORD? Now go; I will help you speak and will teach you what to say."

But Moses said, "O Lord, please send someone else to do it." '

You've gotta love Moses. I mean really, can you imagine saying no to God. If God appeared in front of you, performed all sorts of cool tricks: a burning bush, a staff that became a snake, and a hand that went from healthy to diseased and back again. Really, if all these things happened and the entity that was making them happen asked you to do something AND said, "Don't worry, I'll be right beside you, helping you and caring for you," would you still have the guts to say no? I wouldn't. I would love that sort of reassurance.

Moses had balls, I'll give him that. Weird though, because he was trying to get out of his God-sponsored mission because he was afraid of earthly consequences. Both gutsy and a coward.

It brings up an interesting question: Which do I fear most, heavenly consequences or earthly ones? Am I more concerned about my soul or my body?

How about you?

Exodus 4:10-14

1 comment:

Marybeth Whalen said...

I love this scripture and it has always meant a lot to me.

Am so glad my blogging workshop inspired you... your blog looks great! Thanks for finding me on the web, and I hope to keep in touch with you!