Monday, September 3, 2007

ooooh... I got my Green Bin!

Very exciting developments in northern York Region. Our green bin arrived today and it is very spiffy. I feel fortunate that I already know how to use it since my clients down in TO have had theirs for a couple of years already. I haven't really explored the wonders of mass composting since Biochemical Engineering back in the day and this is a great new initiative...

or is it...

As my young friend Amanda explained, "So, let me get this straight. You take your organics and put them in a plastic bag made from fossil fuels, put that in a larger garbage bag, made from fossil fuels, and put that in a green bin, made from fossil fuels. Then, the city burns fossil fuels to send around a truck to pick up all the bags, takes them to a facility where they are composted and then you burn more fossil fuels to go and pick up the finished compost to put on your garden. Couldn't you just compost?"

Indeed! I think I'll continue to use my backyard composter. ;-)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The bin does takes many things that you cannot put in your backyard composter, meat, diapers, etc but the idea of wasting less still is much more efficient than shipping it somewhere to be industrially treated.

I can't for the life of me figure out how to racoon proof my composter, I'm constantly raking corn cobs and other crap, so I can see why people hate the composter and are happy to get the bins.

Val said...

Yup, that's totally true. There are lots of items to be put in the green bin that cannot be safely composted at home.

I haven't had any problems with raccoons so I have no advice. (knocking on wood)

I think the most important place to have excellent recycling and composting is in apartment building but that seems to be the last place to implement and the lowest compliance rate.