Saturday, February 6, 2010

Kevin Page - economic hero?

I was trying to find out more about the structural deficit predicted by the Parliamentary Budget Officer (PBO) when I wandered across this groovy article in Macleans on the man himself, Kevin Page.

I tell ya, it's a rosy picture they paint of Mr. Page. I have a bit of a crush now. And he's a Queen's grad. And he said this:

"These days Page sees signs of Ottawa sliding back into a pattern of spilling red ink year after year. The Tories have cut taxes without curbing spending, and an aging population looms. 'This problem is going to get bigger and bigger and bigger,' he says."

But that wasn't the information I wanted so I went to the PBO site. Much better. No frills, just a statement of their mandate and a list of recent reports.

I must say I'm looking forward to a report on whether the economic stimulus is working - the issue that sent me looking in the first place.

I think the best part about the PBO is that he was part of the accountability and transparency measures put in place by Mr. Harper when newly elected, measures that I am sure he now regrets but that keep the rest of us informed.

I'll keep you up-to-date.

No comments: